Benefits of the tobacco barns
ProBEC promotes improved tobacco barns based on the rocket stove design, energy-efficiency principle.
- It uses less firewood per quantity of tobacco cured from the traditional average of 12 kilos of firewood per 1 kilo of tobacco cured to 4 kilos of firewood per 1 kilo of tobacco cured.
- The tobacco barn only uses smaller pieces of firewood thus allowing the farmers to stop cutting down large and entire trees.
- The new barn also reduces the tobacco curing time from once to twice a week.
- It also reduces the cost of fire wood in tobacco production
- The firing process can be done by a weaker person or a female hence the rocket barn is easy to manage
- The rocket barn produces less smoke emission resulting in less eye irritation suffered by the farmers as compared to the traditional barn
- It is also much safer from barn fires than the traditional barn
- It also allows a farmer to use own wood lot on rotational basis for many years without going outside the farm for firewood
- It produces better and heavier tobacco
- It produces tobacco of a uniform colour
- It reduces the grading time because the tobacco produced is of vey few colours
- Generally the quality of tobacco is also better than that from the traditional barns and hence itís more profitable.